WHERE AM I NOW: Bali, Indonesia
Diving and surfing.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Butterflies

I made it to Maolin in one piece. And was rewarded for my efforts by being able to visit the wintering site of 10-15 million of purple butterflies in the Dawu Mountain Range.
Purple Butterfly caught in flight

The only other place in the world where butterflies migrate like this is in the Monarch Butterfly Valleys of Mexico. It takes the butterflies from March to November to fly here from all over Taiwan.
It's 9 am an the sun finally makes it over the Dawu Mountains

1 comment:

  1. Some of the Monarchs come across Texas to get to Mexico. I use to always wait for the day, and I mean 1 day, that they would cross my area. Now millions don't pass I don't think but somewhere in the thousands do. It's pretty. :-)

    ReplyDelete